Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What Is Expanded Metal?


Expanded metal is a form of metal stock made by shearing a metal plate in a press, so that the metal stretches, leaving diamond-shaped voids surrounded by interlinked bars of the metal. The most common method of manufacture is to simultaneously slit and stretch the material with one motion. It is often shortened to exmet, which also refers to a commercial firm by the same name that manufactures expanded metal. Also referred to as perforated metal, it is a large part of the metal industry and plays a key roll in fabrication.

Expanded metal is used in grates and in outdoor furniture (e.g. benches) or fencing. It is often used for guarding to prevent contact with hot surfaces or machinery.

Expanded metal is often used for architectural details and finds use in security applications such as in the walls of a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility because, in heavier grades, it is difficult to breach without heavy cutting equipment or explosives.

For more information, visit us at http://upkeepingyourironwork.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I needed some gates that can allow for escape. I went online searching for a ironwork company. I had called a few places with no luck. Then I called Custom Metal Products. They are professional from beginning to end. The assistant given me a scheduled date/time. The estimator was earlier than expected. I was surprised, a lot of welding estimators are not on time. He was polite and professional. The estimate was reasonable(some of the welding companies have outragous prices!). I specifically told the estimator that I need this work done by a certain date. He assured me that it would be done by the date. Actually, they installed my window gate two days earlier. I was very pleased with the scheduling as well their work. I would call them to do more work at my residence. Also, I'll refer anyone who needs ironwork done on their property. GREAT WORK CUSTOM METAL PRODUCTS!

    ReplyDelete